Thursday, April 26, 2012

Staying Neutral(ish)

I am finally recovering from the mayhem of getting pieces done for the MQX exhibit! Doing all of the traditional pieces sort of put me back into the mood for one more. I decided to go with my favorite block, the Balkan Puzzle and made a nice twin size (couch) quilt for myself. My inspiration was the color palette stuck in my head from my recent weekend trip to Pensacola, Florida.

From that point, I felt the need to move back into my art piecing, using the neutral/sand palette. I pulled the creams/tans/brown from the green batik in the traditional piece, then added just a bit of color back in. Greens/blues/purples.

 I'm working on a new concept for designing and piecing to offer eventually. I'm also taking this opportunity to work on my curved piecing, something I have not done much of yet!

This is the first piece in the new series:


 This is part of the second piece in the series, it's now layered and about to be quilted.

The quilting won't get done today most likely. Tomorrow I'm off for a girls weekend in Grand Rapids, MN. Good friend, good food, good wine/drinks are anticipated. It's been planned for quite awhile, and I can't wait for the fun to start. Hopefully the predicted sun will hold out, it will warm up a bit and we can take full advantage of our hikes this weekend. Pretty scenery, and awesome company should make for an inspiring weekend!

No comments: