Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why Create?

Today I created a fun piece in a comic book style of Lady Melly and Lady Peach. I saw the photo and could not resist. I didn't quite capture Melly as I'd have like to - I'm not so good at faces yet, but I'm working on it. Despite that, I really like the piece. Maybe they should have their own comic strip, hmmmm...



I was having a discussion the other day, as I contemplated what it is that I want from creating art. The age old question of whether creating the art itself is enough - or do I need something else like money or notoriety? Of course I would love to be selling tons of art, and being asked left and right for commission pieces. Who wouldn't? But mostly, the reason why I would like something more - has to do with guilt. (Any of my friends can tell you that I have major issue with guilt!)

The first thing people ask me when I tell them I'm an artist is, "Do you make a lot of money doing that?" Moving past the dumbfounded feeling of how they've never heard the term "starving artist", it puts that question right out there off the bat. You make art, do you make money, does your art have value? Even more disturbing is that this question is put to me before they have usually even SEEN the work I do.


For now, I've decided to let my guilt drop away (just like I'm doing in other areas of my life) and just have fun with the process for now. Even though I'm older, I'm just now really focusing and channeling my energy to this way of life. That is enough for now, the big stuff can be dealt with later. Right now I can just be in love with creating art.

Why do YOU create art?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: