Thursday, November 19, 2009

ThanksGIVING Is Coming

No art today. I worked a full day, grabbed some dinner then hit Target and Rainbow to buy food for the local food shelf. I'm not telling you this to "toot my own horn". I'm telling you, because it would be nice if you have a little extra at all, it would be awesome if you would either drop some cash off to your local shelf, or stop by your favorite grocer and get a few 10/$10 veggies or beans.

Also, make sure to mention to encourage your employer to host a company food drive! That's what got me going on this - our work goal is 2,000 pounds of food. The first thing I did was go through my own shelves and pull out the things I tend to stock up on anyways, like veggie and chicken broth, soups and canned tomatoes. You'd be surprised how much you may already have that you can donate!

  • 1 in 8 Americans does not have access to enough food
  • 36% of those seeking help with food are from homes with at least one working adult
  • According to the USDA, more than 12 million children are living in food-insecure households
  • The lack of adequate nutrition affects the cognitive and behavioral development of children

Ok, climbing off my soapbox now (speaking of, did you know that soaps, hand soap, laundry detergent and shampoos are also needed at local shelves?) If you have a little extra, it can help a family a lot!

Have a great night!

No comments: